Thursday, September 18, 2008

I heart farmer's markets


We went to a farmer's market after my stupid race on Saturday and maybe it was the disappointment from not officially winning or maybe it was our love for a good deal, but we found ourselves buying, amongst other things, this basket of apples (yes, it came with the basket, how cute is that?). Now, it doesn't look like that many apples. Sure it's more than you normally buy at a time, but would you have thought it was half a bushel of apples? Ok, I can tell you're still not impressed. People's knowledge of bushels not being what it once was, I'll tell you that 1/2 a bushel is 24 pounds of apples! We bought 24 pounds of apples. All at once. All because it came in a cute little basket. And it was $15.

When we got home I decided I needed to do something creative with the apples before we all got sick of them. So I decided to make fruit leather, because I just bought some for the girls and they were going nuts over them. I combined the apple cooking part of this recipe with the baking technique of this recipe and made a batch of blueberry apple and strawberry apple (I threw frozen fruit in the blender with the cooked apples). It was so easy, the girls loved them (see Elise shoving large amounts into her mouth at once below), and I feel like the best mother in the world, for at least a few minutes.

3 comments:

Courtney said...

That is definitely a lot of apples! Look how domestic you are!

The Preece Family said...

So glad North Carolina has great famer's markets!! Can't wait for you to show me where they are!!

JD said...

i love fruit leathers...