Wednesday, July 16, 2008

We're alive, and sometimes even well

We've had a busy past few months and when I'm busy, blogging is the first thing to go, followed closely by dusting and cleaning the shower. We've ventured a little further south and are living it up in Durham, North Carolina now. It's nice to have a fresh start amidst people who have no idea that I've neglected my blog for months at a time. But I'm not even afraid of people finding that out here since everyone is so extra nice. They take longer to do everything, but they're super nice about it.

The girls have made lots of new friends, including some from the animal kingdom.
Ben found this turtle about a mile away from our house on one of his runs and ran home with it. I don't even like to run holding a water bottle. I can't imagine running with a turtle for a mile (the thing was heavy). Way to go Ben! He had grand visions of the turtle living in our backyard, but it took off for greener pastures shortly after its arrival, a decision perhaps spurred on by Elise trying repeatedly to feed it sticks and leaves. Here's Elise bidding it farewell, "bye bye sea turtle." No matter how many times I correct her, she insists on calling all turtles "sea turtles." This is how the conversation always goes: I'll say, "it's not a sea turtle, it's just a regular turtle. Sea turtles live in the ocean." Elise, "Ok, bye bye sea turtle."



A frog/toad (I didn't get close enough to verify) appeared in our sandbox with no sand turned swimming pool a few days ago. Elise offered it some of her lollipop but it declined.



Finally, the latest addition. Our 12 year old neighbor loves playing with Elise and she showed up yesterday with a little container for her. She found a baby praying mantis at the store and brought it home to give to Elise. She even made it a little container to live in. Elise loves it. I don't know how long it will last. I'm too scared to feed it for fear it that when I open the lid it will attack my face and get loose in the house. It is kind of cute, in a killer insect kind of way.

3 comments:

Summer Owens said...

Attack your face? LOL!!!
I've held many praying mantis's in my life time, right up next to my observing eyes and I've never had one attack my face. :)

The Preece Family said...

What? Ben ran home with a TURTLE?? I would be HUGE amounts of money to watch a hidden video of that day...

The Preece Family said...

PAY - I meant PAY huge amounts of $$...